Features and benefits
· Digitally controlled VGA
· 1 dB gain step size
· 2 dB to 32 dB gain range
· 100 Ω differential input resistance
· 10 Ω differential output resistance
· Noise figure: 5.1 dB at 300 MHz, 5 V supply, and maximum gain
· OIP3 at maximum gain
· 39.4 dBm at 300 MHz at 5 V supply
· 38.1 dBm at 700 MHz at 5 V supply
· Gain step accuracy: ±0.2 dB
· −3 dB bandwidth at 32 dB: 1.0 GHz typical at 5 V supply
· Multiple control interface options
· Parallel 5-bit control interface with latch
· 3- and 4-wire SPI with fast attack
· Gain step-up and step-down interface
· Wide input dynamic range
· Power-down control
·Single 3.3 V or 5 V supply operation
· 112 mA quiescent current at 5 V supply
· 20-lead, 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP
The ADL5206 is a wide bandwidth, variable gain amplifier (VGA) with digital control (also known as a digital gain amplifier (DGA)) that provides precise gain control, high output third-order intercept (OIP3), and low noise figure over the entire gain range. The excellent OIP3 performance of 39.4 dBm (at 300MHz, 5 V supply, and maximum gain) makes the ADL5206 an excellent gain control device for a variety of receiver applications.
For wide input dynamic range applications, the ADL5206 provides a broad 2 dB to 32 dB gain range with a 1 dB step size. The gain is adjustable through multiple gain control and interface options: parallel, serial peripheral interface (SPI), or gain step-up and step-down controls.
The ADL5206 can be powered up independently by applying the appropriate logic level to the PWUP pin. The quiescent current of the ADL5206 is typically 112 mA with a 5 V supply. When disabled, the ADL5206 consumes only 8 mA and offers excellent input to output isolation. The gain setting is preserved when the device is disabled.
Fabricated on the Analog Devices, Inc., high speed, silicon germanium (SiGe), bipolar complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (BiCMOS) process, the ADL5206 provides precise gain adjustment capabilities with good distortion performance. The ADL5206 amplifier comes in a compact, thermally enhanced, 4 mm × 4 mm, 20-lead LFCSP and operates over the temperature range of −40°C to +85°C.
Note that throughout the data sheet, multifunction pins, such as CS/GS1/D3, are referred to by the entire pin name or by a single function of the pin.
· Differential ADC drivers
· High intermediate frequency (IF) sampling receivers
· High output power IF amplification
· DOCSIS FDx upstream amplifier